Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Thu July 5, 2007
NC Film Director Happy With Tax Breaks
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – North Carolina's new film office director says he's pleased with the state's film incentives package.
An Associated Press article reported Aaron Syrette wanting to study changing the incentive to 20%. But he now says the current incentive is competitive and is not looking to boost it.
Syrette has been the state's new film office director since last May. He says one of his goals is to grow the film industry.
And competing with other states around us, it's always a challenge. What North Carolina has that other states don't necessarily have is a really deep infrastructure and competing with other states around us is always a challenge.
Syrette says North Carolina's film industry is a lot busier than it was last year. The film incentive, which kicked in January 1st, gives back $7.5 million for productions that spend $50-million in state.
Opponents to the film package say incentives should be given to all businesses and not just the movie industry.