Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Tue December 11, 2012
Musicians Remember Elliott Carter
Originally published on Tue December 11, 2012 11:39 am
Elliott Carter, the celebrated composer who fearlessly forged his own brand of American music for nearly eight decades until he died last month, would have turned 104 years old today. After his death, we began reaching out to musicians who both knew him and had special relationships with his work. Immediately, it was obvious just what a profound impact Carter had on the musicians he met. Many used words like "life changing" to describe Carter the man and the revelatory effects of his sometimes thorny, sometimes serene music. Here are a few testimonials to and remembrances of Carter and his music.