Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Thu September 5, 2013
Midday Interview: Cape Fear Literacy Council to Host Spelling Bee
The Cape Fear Literacy Council, in partnership with Bee Keeper Sponsor Dr. Kavita Persaud, is hosting the 26th Annual Spelling Bee for Literacy on September 19, 2013 at 7 PM at the Pine Valley United Methodist Church.
On Thursday, September 5th, the Cape Fear Literacy Council's Executive Director popped into the WHQR studio to talk with Rachel Lewis Hilburn about the Bee, the reasons behind the Bee, and some of the surprising misconceptions about illiteracy.
In the interview, Lytvinenko explains why so many sociological problems, such as gang membership, homelessness, and high school dropout rates, can often be connected to a form of illiteracy.
(Oh -- and she talks about why the September 19th Spelling Bee will be an absolute blast!)
For information about the 26th Annual Spelling Bee on September 19th at the Pine Valley United Methodist Church, follow this link: