Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Tue October 7, 2008
Michelle Obama and Sarah Palin Hop on the North Carolina Train
By Michelle Bliss
Wilmington, NC – Michelle Obama, the wife of Democrat presidential nominee Barack Obama, is hosting a community event this afternoon with military families in Jacksonville. A few hours later, Sarah Palin is hosting a rally at East Carolina University.
Roger Lowery is the public and international affairs department chair at UNCW. He says having such politically powerful women in North Carolina on the same day will highlight the state's influence on the presidential election.
"There's been much more gender equality in the last generation. And I think that all age groups in the electorate are much more willing now to see and endorse strong women in positions of leadership."
Lowery says with North Carolina as a battleground state, both campaigns are trying to register voters before the deadline on Friday.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please e-mail us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.