Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Mon October 15, 2007
McIntyre: Will Vote to Override S-CHIPS Veto
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Congressman Mike McIntyre says he will vote to override President Bush's veto on the S-CHIPS bill.
The democrat broke ranks and voted against the bill expanding the State Children's Health Insurance Program. He says he was against raising the cigarette tax to fund S-CHIPS because it would hurt local tobacco growers.
I have been a supporter of the S-CHIP program and I've consistently stated that I support S-CHIP. This was never about supporting the program; it was always about the method of funding.
The House is expected to hold its override vote later this week.
Campaign contribution tracker OPEN SECRETS dot ORG lists McIntyre as one of the top 20 lawmakers who receive campaign contributions from the tobacco industry.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.