Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Wed August 29, 2007
McIntyre Distributes Funds in Brunswick County
By Peter Biello
Wilmington, NC – Congressman Mike McIntyre criss-crossed Brunswick County yesterday to hand out checks totaling more than $860,000.
McIntyre loaned $485,000 to the Shallotte Fire Department and $300,000 for the expansion of the Carolina Shores town hall. He also presented Leland's Lincoln Elementary School with a $75,000 eRate grant.
In a crowded computer classroom, McIntyre told students the grant would purchase computers, telecommunications equipment and provide internet access.
Today is a special day to celebrate one way you're going to be able to be a better citizen, and that is how to use really good technology to help you learn. And that is something you'll be able to carry with you throughout your lives.
School officials say the eRate grant will enable students to take virtual field trips and hold video conferences with students across the state.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.