Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Mon August 27, 2012
Loving Dogs In Toms River, N.J.
When a doglover gets to an age when she can't care for a dog anymore, it can be a huge loss.
Since 2009, Simon, a Golden Retriever and his owner, Pat, have been visiting Alice — who is 94 years old and legally blind — in her home near Toms River.
For years, Alice enjoyed the companionship of a dog. Now because of health problems, she cannot. So every week she looks forward to her visits with Pat and Simon, who are part of the Caregiver Canines program.
Our volunteers — human and canine — visit the elderly and those with Alzheimer's disease.
Lynette Whiteman is Executive Director of Caregiver Volunteers of Central Jersey. She listens to WNYC.