Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu October 6, 2011
Literature Nobel Goes To Swedish Poet Tomas Transtromer
Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer is the 2011 Nobel laureate in literature, it was just announced.
In its statement, the Nobel committee said his work "gives us fresh access to reality."
Our friends over at Monkey See have more, including Neda Ulaby's pre-announcement look at the "Nobel shortlist."
As Neda wrote, Transtromer had been "another constant Nobel bridesmaid. He's a Swedish surrealist poet who's also spent a career as a psychiatrist working with institutionalized children."
Watch Monkey See later for a post from John Freeman, editor of Granta magazine.