Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Thu June 21, 2007
Keeping Seniors Cool
By Peter Biello
Wilmington, NC – A Brunswick County non-profit is working to keep area seniors cool this summer.
Jim Russell is manager of Brunswick Senior Resources. He says this summer his organization will purchase at least 90 window fans for local senior citizens. Russell says a limited number of air conditioners might be available for some seniors with severe medical problems.
Very obviously we haven't got the resources to guarantee every senior that we'll give you an air conditioner. We'd hope to, but the reality is that economically it's not feasible.
Russell says Brunswick Senior Resources receives about $750 a year to buy the fans. He says members of the community also contribute each year by donating fans and air conditioners.