Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu June 28, 2007
John Locke Foundation Visits Wilmington, Disagrees with Al Gore
By Peter Biello
Wilmington, NC – The Conservative think tank John Locke Foundation came to Wilmington yesterday to explain why Al Gore is wrong.
Keynote Speaker Joel Schwartz questioned Al Gore's assertion that people are a significant cause of global warming. Schwartz says temperature varies with time, and though he agrees the average temperature on earth is rising, he says it's nothing to be worried about.
The fact that we have new research coming out almost every week that's often inconsistent with or directly contradictory of the supposed consensus on climate changes I think shows you that we don't understand things that well and that Greenhouse Gases are having less effect on the total warming than Al Gore wants you to believe.
Al Gore's film An Inconvenient Truth asserts people are putting too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which then contributes to global warming. Wilmington was the last stop on Schwartz's five-city tour through North Carolina.