City of Wilmington officials say people planning to attend the fireworks show should be prepared for delays coming and going.
Independence Day Fireworks Celebration
· The fireworks show will begin at 9:05 pm.
· Visitors should park on the side of Chestnut Street (North or South) that they plan to exit
· Expect delays when arriving and leaving the downtown area due to large volumes of traffic for the event. Those using parking decks can expect longer delays due to high volumes exiting at one time.
· There will be no standing, stopping or parking on bridges, roadways or along medians on route 17, 74/76, 133 or 421 – police will monitor these areas enforce towing as needed.
· A detour will occur at the 421 N. ramp from 74/76 as early as 6 p.m. or when necessary.
Water Street Parking Deck
· The top level of the Water Street Parking Deck, which the city now owns, will be closed to pedestrians and vehicles on July 4. The lower level will be open for parking with access from Grace Street.
While the deck remains safe, the Grace Street guardrails are in need of immediate repair. Currently, the Grace Street exit ramp and a portion of sidewalk beneath the ramp are closed and will remain closed for several weeks until repairs can be made.
Independence Day Office Closure
City administrative offices will be closed Wednesday, July 4 in observance of Independence Day. Trash, yard waste and recycling service will be unaffected by the closure.