Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu November 22, 2007
Nan Graham gives us some background on the origins of Thanksgiving.
By Nan Graham
Wilmington, NC – Thanksgiving wasn't recognized as a national holiday until President Lincoln declared it so in 1863. But the person actually responsible was Sarah Josephus Hale, the author of "Mary Had a Little Lamb."
Nan Graham is the author of several books, including "In a Magnolia Minute." Her website is nangraham.com