Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Sun December 20, 2009
Gift Giving Suggestions for Children
"Outdoor exploration requires focused attention so it's best to leave distracting toys behind (yes, I refer to electronic games and other gizmos, which actually serve to disconnect children from the world around them)."
By Andy Wood
In the spirit of Winter Solstice, the heralding time of Spring, commentator Andy Wood has some suggestions for gift giving this time of year, that might help children, and adults, to connect with nature, especially outdoors.
Andy Wood is education director for Audubon North Carolina. He's the author of "Backyard Carolina," a collection of his WHQR commentaries.