Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Tue July 10, 2007
Funding On Hold for RV Dan Moore
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Cape Fear Community College says it will try again in the next legislative session to get state funding for its aging research vessel.
The R.V. Dan Moore is a 40-year-old research vessel used by Cape Fear Community College students.
The college's aim this legislative session was to get the $7.5 million dollars it needs from the state to replace the vessel.
But that's not going to happen, says Marine Technology Department Chair Jason Rogers, who says it's unclear how the delay will impact the new ship's price tag.
We're hoping that it will at least stay close. We think we will have a little wiggle room. But that's going to depend on how available shipyards are and the cost of steel.
Rogers says a perception from lawmakers that the R.V. Dan Moore only benefited local students blocked the bill from moving forward.