Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Mon January 18, 2010
Free Flu Shots Still Available
By Laurin Penland
Wimington, NC – Today is last day of National Influenza Vaccination Week. But don't worry if you haven't gotten your free flu shot, the New Hanover County Health Department says there is plenty of the vaccine for everyone.
Janet McCumbee, Nursing Director at the New Hanover County Health Department says they have given a record number of vaccines this year, more than thirty-thousand compared to only 10,000 a few years ago.
"And we are seeing now elderly people that weren't eligible for the H1N1 vaccine initially. We're still seeing people bring children in. I think the no charge issue is really important for a lot of people. We're seeing people that have never ever taken a flue vaccine before."
McCumbee says the community still needs to be vigilant even though the health department is seeing a smaller number of people with the flu. The New Hanover County Health Department will continue to give free shots, and people can either walk-in or make an appointment.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. email@example.com.