Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Mon January 18, 2010
Free Flu Shots Still Available
By Laurin Penland
Wimington, NC – Today is last day of National Influenza Vaccination Week. But don't worry if you haven't gotten your free flu shot, the New Hanover County Health Department says there is plenty of the vaccine for everyone.
Janet McCumbee, Nursing Director at the New Hanover County Health Department says they have given a record number of vaccines this year, more than thirty-thousand compared to only 10,000 a few years ago.
"And we are seeing now elderly people that weren't eligible for the H1N1 vaccine initially. We're still seeing people bring children in. I think the no charge issue is really important for a lot of people. We're seeing people that have never ever taken a flue vaccine before."
McCumbee says the community still needs to be vigilant even though the health department is seeing a smaller number of people with the flu. The New Hanover County Health Department will continue to give free shots, and people can either walk-in or make an appointment.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.