Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Wed October 24, 2007
Forum Discusses Youth Violence
By Peter Biello
Wilmington, NC – The Second Annual Forum on Youth Violence takes place this evening, bringing together parents and community members interested in curbing youth violence.
The first open forum on school violence was held last year after Kimberly McLaughlin-Smith heard of gang violence in her daughter's school. Three shooting deaths since the summer have city officials concerned about gang activity.
McLaughlin says this year's forum focuses on bringing together those who can solve these problems.
"Who are the people who can affect change? And if I'm a concerned parent who has a kid who is not a gangbanger, what do I do to soothe some of the fears in my child when I have to send them to school every day?"
The Second Annual Forum on School Violence takes place tonight at 6:30 in the WHQR gallery.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? Please email us, we'd like to hear from you. firstname.lastname@example.org.