Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Tue November 21, 2006
Fire Destroys Kure Beach Condos
By Megan V. Williams
Kure Beach, NC – The blaze started around 2:30am in a building of the Ocean Dunes condominium complex on the west side of Highway 421.
By the time firefighters arrived, gusty wind and the wooden structure meant there was little to do but keep flames from spreading to nearby units.
There were no injuries from the fire and all year-round residents in the multi-unit building are accounted for.
New Hanover County Deputy Fire Marshall Tom Sosebee describes the building, which was formerlly three stories tall and contained sixteen to eighteen units, as reduced to a pile of rubble two feet high.
"It's pretty much just all ashes," Sosebee said Tuesday.
Sosebee predicts it will take several days to determine the fire's cause.