Most Active Stories
- HoHo Shorts Countdown: "Oh! Christmas Tree" by Mary Kaye Hester
- Wilmington Housing Authority Seeks Social Equity-Minded Partners
- Representative Susi Hamilton Speaks Out on State's New Tax Reform Package
- HoHo Shorts Countdown: "Crying with Santa" by Katharine Frazier
- Waste Part I: Managing the New Commodity
Mon August 20, 2012
Email urges voters to call NHC Board of Elections for Early Voting site on UNCW Campus
An email making the rounds is urging voters to call the New Hanover County Board of Elections and ask for an Early Voting Site on the UNCW campus.
But as WHQR’s Rachel Lewis Hilburn reports, the Board of Elections has its hands tied.
The email says that the New Hanover County Board of Elections is considering the addition of an early voting site on the campus of UNCW. It goes on to cite statistics that show an on-campus voting site greatly increases the likelihood that college students will vote.
But according to Sally Shepherd, the Outreach Coordinator with the New Hanover County Board of Elections, school administrators say they don’t have extra space to set aside for 2 ½ to 3 ½ weeks. And, says Shepherd, there are already parking issues on campus during the week.
But students who would like to vote and don’t have transportation can catch a shuttle from UNCW to the Government Center. The shuttle runs Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 6:30 PM.
As for a future voting site on campus – that’s up to officials at UNCW.