Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Sun April 19, 2009
"Sea level rise, melting glaciers, fluctuating weather patterns and shifting ecosystems are all pieces of a complex puzzle being reassembled by a changing planet. And with these changes comes opportunity for our own renewal."
By Andy Wood
Wilmington, NC – This April marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, a celebration of planet Earth that began as an awareness-building campaign with teach-ins at schools and other public places around the country.
Andy Wood is education curator for Audubon North Carolina and author of "Backyard Carolina," a collection of his WHQR commentaries.