Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Sun April 19, 2009
"Sea level rise, melting glaciers, fluctuating weather patterns and shifting ecosystems are all pieces of a complex puzzle being reassembled by a changing planet. And with these changes comes opportunity for our own renewal."
By Andy Wood
Wilmington, NC – This April marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, a celebration of planet Earth that began as an awareness-building campaign with teach-ins at schools and other public places around the country.
Andy Wood is education curator for Audubon North Carolina and author of "Backyard Carolina," a collection of his WHQR commentaries.