Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Sun April 19, 2009
"Sea level rise, melting glaciers, fluctuating weather patterns and shifting ecosystems are all pieces of a complex puzzle being reassembled by a changing planet. And with these changes comes opportunity for our own renewal."
By Andy Wood
Wilmington, NC – This April marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, a celebration of planet Earth that began as an awareness-building campaign with teach-ins at schools and other public places around the country.
Andy Wood is education curator for Audubon North Carolina and author of "Backyard Carolina," a collection of his WHQR commentaries.