Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Fri August 10, 2012
Doing The Write Thing In Portland, Maine
Originally published on Tue August 14, 2012 12:59 pm
The Telling Room is a non-profit center in Portland that inspires young people to explore the pleasures of the written word.
In an increasingly diverse state, the Telling Room engages with communities that are under-served by the public school system: young people from Maine's growing immigrant and refugee populations, those with emotional challenges and at-risk middle and high school students.
As statewide budget cuts threaten programs in the arts, the work of organizations like the Telling Room is essential in making sure that future generations have the storytelling skills and confidence they need to be successful.
Kristen Ghodsee is director of the Gender and Women's Studies Program at Bowdoin College. She listens to the Maine Public Broadcasting Network.