Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu February 22, 2007
Cookies For The Congressman
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Almost a dozen people crammed into Congressman Mike McIntyre's Wilmington office to thank him.
The visit was part of a coordinated event by the liberal online activist group MoveOn.org to support members of congress who voted for a resolution against the President's plan for a troop increase.
Group members left McIntyre a thank you letter and a plate of cookies with a yellow ribbon on top. MoveOn's Gillian Bergeron calls the visit symbolic.
It just represents the fact that we're thrilled with what he's doing, it's normal people, home baked cookies, doesn't say much more than that.
During the debate on the bill, McIntyre said fewer troops would empower the Iraqi people. McIntyre is part of a coalition of moderate democrats known as Blue Dog democrats.