Most Active Stories
- FSB Encore from Mac & Juice and Jim Ashley
- New Moral Movies Film Series Intends to Highlight Social Issues and Spur Community Discussion
- UNCW Business Leaders Ask Cape Fear Region's Top Five Employers to Reveal Their Needs
- Cinematique: "Enemy" (New Time, 7PM)
- Candidate Profile: Ernie Ward (D), NC Senate, District 8
Wed July 19, 2006
Congressman McIntyre Pushes for Poverty Authority
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Congressman Mike McIntyre says he hopes legislation to help alleviate poverty in southern states will hit the House floor this fall.
The measure creates the Southeast Crescent Authority that helps boost economic development in the poorest southeastern states and their most distressed counties.
McIntyre says SECA is modeled after the Appalachian Regional Commission. And says the measure is gaining attention and momentum on Capitol Hill.
We've got some folks in the urban areas and other parts of the country speak up for us. They realize how depressed and distressed certain economic regions have been in the south, and that now's the time to go ahead and address those.
McIntrye says North Carolina's poorest counties will get a boost by being a part of a wider, regional push to eliminate poverty.