Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Wed November 1, 2006
City To View Plans for West Bank of Cape Fear River
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Wednesday night the Wilmington Planning Commission will hear what planning officials have in mind for future development along the west bank of the Cape Fear River.
Called the Riverfront Mixed Use District city and county planners have designed a cohesive zoning plan stretching from the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge to the Isobel Holmes Bridge.
This is a plan developers can opt into, and Wilmington Planning Manger Kaye Graybeal says water and sewer are just two reasons why developers would buy into the plan.
If we are to agree to annex property on the west side of the river we would want to ensure that any development of that site would be done according to our desired regulations.
Graybeal says the Riverfront Mixed Use District is influenced by a variety of riverfront cities across the country.
The New Hanover County Planning Board will get its peak at the plan Thursday evening.