Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Fri August 4, 2006
Cape Fear Memorial Bridge Fix
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Work will soon begin to replace the control system on the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge.
The state has now awarded a $5.4 million dollar contract on work that will begin later this month, and wrap up 18 months from now.
The control system lifts the bridge for river traffic.
Lannie Wilson of the North Carolina Board of Transportation says this is the first electrical upgrade for the 37-year-old lift span bridge.