Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Fri August 4, 2006
Cape Fear Memorial Bridge Fix
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Work will soon begin to replace the control system on the Cape Fear Memorial Bridge.
The state has now awarded a $5.4 million dollar contract on work that will begin later this month, and wrap up 18 months from now.
The control system lifts the bridge for river traffic.
Lannie Wilson of the North Carolina Board of Transportation says this is the first electrical upgrade for the 37-year-old lift span bridge.