Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue September 29, 2009
"The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean, Martin Frobisher. His Thanksgiving celebration was held in 1578 in Newfoundland, after he and his crew arrived safely from their long exploration back to charted territory."
By Shane Fernando
Wilmington, NC – Shane discusses how a borrowed tradition has evolved, paying tribute to close friends, as well as to our northerly neighbors.
Shane Fernando lives with his partner in historic downtown Wilmington and is curator of the Boseman Gallery at UNCW.