Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Fri April 7, 2006
Building on the Cape Fear River
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – The New Hanover County Planning Board has tabled a request for a special permit to build a development on the west bank of the Cape Fear River.
The complex called City View would include 400 dwelling units, retail outlets and office space on a plot of land just south of the Battleship North Carolina.
The development would house some of those units in a 260-foot tall tower that opponents say would be the tallest structure east of I-95.
The plot is already zoned for heavy commercial that allows plans for offices or a hotel. But developers want a special permit for the residential condominium portion of their plans.
Several planning board members said they have concerns about infrastructure and how the City View project would mesh with a special committee's plan for an ordinance on land use along the Cape Fear River.