Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Mon July 31, 2006
Building Boats on the Cape Fear
By Carrie Wellman
Wilmington, NC – Cape Fear Community College is kicking off its seventh annual Wooden Boat Festival Friday in downtown Wilmington.
Tom Forrester may be over eighty and overheated, but the local woodwork enthusiast doesn't let that slow him down.
Forrester is happy to put in the hours at the riverside workshop where he's getting his exhibit ready for this weekend's festival.
This is a, gonna be a, 1931 Model A Ford. When Henry Ford built em they were called Travelers.' Actually, I guess you could say they're the first minivan because they had a little bed, had a water tank, and had a sink.
Forrester says last year's boat festival sparked his interest, and this year he'll enter two wooden-bodied cars in the show.
The festival will also feature handcrafted wooden sailboats, powerboats, canoes, surfboards, and kayaks.