Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Mon July 31, 2006
Building Boats on the Cape Fear
By Carrie Wellman
Wilmington, NC – Cape Fear Community College is kicking off its seventh annual Wooden Boat Festival Friday in downtown Wilmington.
Tom Forrester may be over eighty and overheated, but the local woodwork enthusiast doesn't let that slow him down.
Forrester is happy to put in the hours at the riverside workshop where he's getting his exhibit ready for this weekend's festival.
This is a, gonna be a, 1931 Model A Ford. When Henry Ford built em they were called Travelers.' Actually, I guess you could say they're the first minivan because they had a little bed, had a water tank, and had a sink.
Forrester says last year's boat festival sparked his interest, and this year he'll enter two wooden-bodied cars in the show.
The festival will also feature handcrafted wooden sailboats, powerboats, canoes, surfboards, and kayaks.