Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu May 3, 2007
Brunswick Deputies Shoot Man
By Megan V. Williams
Wilmington, NC – A Leland man is in the hospital today, after being shot multiple times by Brunswick County Sheriff's deputies last night.
According to the Sheriff's department, two of its deputies were responding to a reported fight at a home on Maco road, when George Cooper Senior came out of the back door, holding a shotgun The deputies say Cooper aimed his weapon at them, which is when they fired.
Cooper was hit multiple times and was in surgery this morning at New Hanover Regional Medical Center.
The deputies, James Sheehan and Brian Carlisle, are currently on paid leave while the State Bureau of Investigation looks into the incident.