Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue August 7, 2007
Brunswick County School Board Bans Tobacco
By Peter Biello
Wilmington, NC – The Brunswick County Board of Education voted last night to make the school-sponsored events tobacco free.
The ban prohibits the use of tobacco products at any school sponsored event. That means visitors as well as students will not be allowed to smoke or chew tobacco at sporting events or ceremonies held off campus.
Board Member Ray Gilbert voted in favor of the ban. He says enforcing the policy will not be a problem.
We are trained from early stages of life what to do. When you go to the door at the store it says push or pull. You just follow directions. I think people will comply. Why would you pay to go to an activity and violate the rules?
Opponents of the tobacco ban say children are a priority, but the ban takes away an adult's right to choose.