Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Tue August 7, 2007
Brunswick County School Board Bans Tobacco
By Peter Biello
Wilmington, NC – The Brunswick County Board of Education voted last night to make the school-sponsored events tobacco free.
The ban prohibits the use of tobacco products at any school sponsored event. That means visitors as well as students will not be allowed to smoke or chew tobacco at sporting events or ceremonies held off campus.
Board Member Ray Gilbert voted in favor of the ban. He says enforcing the policy will not be a problem.
We are trained from early stages of life what to do. When you go to the door at the store it says push or pull. You just follow directions. I think people will comply. Why would you pay to go to an activity and violate the rules?
Opponents of the tobacco ban say children are a priority, but the ban takes away an adult's right to choose.