Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu June 21, 2007
Brunsco Schools React To Coach, Student Marriage
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Brunswick County Superintendent Katie McGee says she is shocked and disheartened that a cross-country coach married a 16-year-old student.
In a released statement McGee says both the school and law enforcement investigated rumors about the relationship between 40-year-old Brenton Wuchae and student Windy Hager. But because they could not prove that anything was going on charges were never filed and Wuchae was not fired.
The Star-News reports that a marriage license shows Wuchae and Hager got married in Brunswick County on Monday.
He coached Hager at South Brunswick High School, where she was a star runner.
The superintendent says the relationship does not represent the integrity of employees of Brunswick County Schools.