Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Thu June 21, 2007
Brunsco Schools React To Coach, Student Marriage
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Brunswick County Superintendent Katie McGee says she is shocked and disheartened that a cross-country coach married a 16-year-old student.
In a released statement McGee says both the school and law enforcement investigated rumors about the relationship between 40-year-old Brenton Wuchae and student Windy Hager. But because they could not prove that anything was going on charges were never filed and Wuchae was not fired.
The Star-News reports that a marriage license shows Wuchae and Hager got married in Brunswick County on Monday.
He coached Hager at South Brunswick High School, where she was a star runner.
The superintendent says the relationship does not represent the integrity of employees of Brunswick County Schools.