Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Wed October 4, 2006
Body Floating in Cape Fear River Identified
By Catherine M. Welch
Wilmington, NC – Wilmington Police say they have identified the man found dead last week floating in the Cape Fear River.
Police say the man is 46-year-old Terry Anthony Wilson of Raleigh.
They say a relative living outside the area saw a news story seeking Wilson's identity, and police made a positive I.D. late last night.
Sgt. Warren Kennedy with the Wilmington Police Department says police still don't know why Wilson was in Wilmington.
There's a few loose ends that we're looking at as far as following up on some information as to where he was the hours preceding his time in the river.
Kennedy says there were no signs of foul play.
He says drowning deaths in the Cape Fear River are rare. And this case is unusually rare because it took nearly a week, instead of a couple of days, to identify the body.