Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Fri May 1, 2009
Bird Nesting Season
"It's best to observe young birds from a distance and not intervene because birds know best about rearing their babies... Hands-off is the best policy when it comes to birds."
By Andy Wood
It's May and that means bird nesting season. Almost everywhere you look, from bare sandy beaches, to dense shrub and forest habitat, and even on and around our homes and businesses, birds are busying themselves with nest making, egg laying and baby rearing.
Andy Wood is education curator for Audubon North Carolina and author of "Backyard Carolina," a collection of his WHQR commentaries.