Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
Fri May 1, 2009
Bird Nesting Season
"It's best to observe young birds from a distance and not intervene because birds know best about rearing their babies... Hands-off is the best policy when it comes to birds."
By Andy Wood
It's May and that means bird nesting season. Almost everywhere you look, from bare sandy beaches, to dense shrub and forest habitat, and even on and around our homes and businesses, birds are busying themselves with nest making, egg laying and baby rearing.
Andy Wood is education curator for Audubon North Carolina and author of "Backyard Carolina," a collection of his WHQR commentaries.