Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Tue June 5, 2012
One year ago, our area was parched and thirsty for rain following a rather dry winter, which came on the heels of a dry fall, and a hot (and, you guessed it) dry summer. It was so dry that when lightning struck a tree in Holly Shelter Game Land on June 19th, 2011, not only did a wildfire erupt to engulf trees and shrubs, the 30,000-acre fire also consumed the soil in which the plants were rooted.