Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Mon August 20, 2012
Being Good Students In Sherman, Texas
Before coming to Austin College, I hosted some bake sales and donated the proceeds to make a difference. Only after joining the student-led Service Station did I realize: To serve others, all I need is my heart.
The Service Station is the campus hub of organized service activities — including Alternative Spring Break, Great Day of Service, the environmentally focused GreenServe, as well as individual projects. Last year students logged more than 13,000 hours of service.
For me, the joy of a child's smile during a community educational program is worth an early alarm on a Saturday morning.
Akshara Vivekananthan is majoring in communication studies and psychology. The local station is KERA.