Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
A Blog Supreme
Fri August 3, 2012
Around The Jazz Internet: Aug. 3, 2012
Where we are bracing for 16 hours of live Newport broadcasting.
- More Newport Jazz previews: ten picks from Jim Macnie, an AP article from David Klepper, a profile of Bill Frisell (playing thrice) by Siddhartha Mitter.
- The great drummer and educator Michael Carvin has gotten some overdue attention on the web lately. This AllAboutJazz piece is enormous. For fans of audio, WBGO interviewed him too.
- Top 10 Miles Davis performances on standards, as selected by PopMatters.
- Ten Kenny Barron clips on the Internet.
- Five recordings of jazz standards sampled on rap records.
- Dafnis Prieto, interviewed for Nextbop.
- Dena DeRose, now known as a jazz vocalist, was studying classical piano in college — until she developed carpal tunnel syndrome and arthritis.
- Phil Schaap is writing books. The jazz historian (and a mentor to the author) has an elephantine memory so hopefully a slice of it will live on in print.
- More talk about the slow death of the jazz standard. James Hale talks to people for the CBC. Howard Mandel weighs in.
- Cutty Cutshall, trombonist, is the latest in a series looking at Pittsburgh jazz legends.
- A man who brought jazz to church.
- John Coltrane as smooth jazz.
- Destination: Out has posted more Wadada Leo Smith material in celebration of their contest and the trumpeter's new four-disc set.
- The Jazz Session spoke with trumpeter John D'Earth and big bandleader Doug Richards, both of central Virginia.
- The Checkout featured the Christian Scott Berklee concert.
Elsewhere at NPR Music:
- Ryan Truesdell and his Gil Evans Centennial Project are the subject of a Fresh Air review.
- JazzSet features music from the Mary Lou Williams Women in Jazz Festival, including saxophonist Jane Bunnett.
- Marian McPartland's Piano Jazz features the Grady Tate episode.
Copyright 2013 NPR. To see more, visit http://www.npr.org/.