Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Tue November 15, 2011
Armed Robberies Near UNCW Followed by a Bomb Threat Downtown
Wilmington Police officials say that early this morning two armed robberies occurred on the same block of South College Road at the edge of UNCW’s campus.
University officials sent multiple alerts telling people to seek shelter and lock their doors. Those orders were lifted before 6 this morning and classes started on schedule.
The gunman has not been found and police officials say the physical descriptions provided for both incidents are significantly different.
Later this morning at 11 o’clock, the New Hanover County Sheriff’s office evacuated the downtown judicial building because of a bomb threat. After searching the building, officers let employees and the public back inside.
Spokesperson Sergeant Jerry Brewer says there are no leads, but detectives will keep investigating.