Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Around the Nation
Fri June 6, 2014
Arizona Officials Find Cartwheels Distracting
Originally published on Fri June 6, 2014 11:09 am
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep with a test of the limits of free expression. Arizona's Maricopa Association of Governments ordered Dianne Barker to stop performing cartwheels at public meetings. She's 65 and apparently good at them. She does cartwheels to promote the benefits of walking. An attorney has written her demanding that she stop this disruptive practice but she has insisted she has a...
DAVID GREENE, HOST:
All right, here we go, Steve. Woohoo.
INSKEEP: ...David, that was an amazing cartwheel, but it's distracting.
INSKEEP: It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.