Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Wed April 24, 2013
AP's Twitter Account Running Again; Was Hacked Tuesday
Originally published on Wed April 24, 2013 10:21 am
"The @AP Twitter account, which was suspended after being hacked, has been secured and is back up. Thank you for your patience."
That's the word Wednesday morning from The Associated Press.
Tuesday, as we reported, a message appeared on the AP's Twitter page stating — falsely — that there had been two explosions at the White House and President Obama had been injured. Stocks dropped sharply, but came back quickly as it became clear that no such thing had happened.
The Syrian Electronic Army, the pro-Bashar Assad group that hacked NPR.org on April 15, has claimed it hacked the AP.