Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Thu October 6, 2011
Amber Rubarth On Mountain Stage
Originally published on Thu May 31, 2012 11:03 am
Amber Rubarth began pursuing songwriting in earnest after spending three years as a chainsaw-carving apprentice in Carson City, Nev. Rubarth traded the chainsaw for a guitar, and quickly found herself earning accolades from industry veterans such as Phil Ramone and Tom Waits. She won the 2010 Mountain Stage NewSong contest, and has appeared on Mountain Stage once before with collaborator Alex Wong, as part of the Brooklyn-based indie-pop group Paper Raincoat. This is her first visit as a solo artist, an opportunity she uses to explore the more personal side of songwriting.
Rubarth plays five songs here, with two backed by the Mountain Stage band, and opens with "Letter From My Lonelier Self" from her Jacquire King-produced album A Common Case of Disappearing.