Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Thu May 23, 2013
Accidental Southerner: Louisa May Alcott
Commentator Nan Graham is more than familiar with the needle-in-the-hay-stack method of finding southerners, so she wasn’t nervous when Louisa May Alcott seemed to be resisting the mold. Here, she makes her case for Louisa May Alcott as an accidental southerner. In the process, she takes a trip to Georgetown before it was a fashi0nable corner in the District of Columbia, and remembers one of her favorite quotes about Washington D.C.: "Washington has all the efficiency of the South and the manners of the North."
Commentaries here on WHQR.org do not necessarily reflect the views of WHQR Public Radio, its editorial staff, or its members.