Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Soup to Nuts Live!: Rebekah Todd
Thu May 23, 2013
Accidental Southerner: Louisa May Alcott
Commentator Nan Graham is more than familiar with the needle-in-the-hay-stack method of finding southerners, so she wasn’t nervous when Louisa May Alcott seemed to be resisting the mold. Here, she makes her case for Louisa May Alcott as an accidental southerner. In the process, she takes a trip to Georgetown before it was a fashi0nable corner in the District of Columbia, and remembers one of her favorite quotes about Washington D.C.: "Washington has all the efficiency of the South and the manners of the North."
Commentaries here on WHQR.org do not necessarily reflect the views of WHQR Public Radio, its editorial staff, or its members.