Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents Oscar Nominated "Citizenfour"
- Midday Interview: Brian Nunnelly on the 150th anniversary of the Battle at Fort Fisher
- On the Next CoastLine: The Future of Vertex Rail in Cape Fear
- Higher Education in Wilmington Sees Rash of Exits in Less than One Year
- WHQR Day Sponsor Party 2015!
Around the Nation
Fri August 31, 2012
40-Year-Old Cheese To Sell For $10 An Ounce
Originally published on Fri August 31, 2012 12:48 pm
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
Good morning. I'm Steve Inskeep. A guy walks into a cheese cooler in Wisconsin - true story. Edward Zahn was closing up Z's Cheese Shoppe when he discovered wooden boxes of cheese - aged cheddar cheese, accidentally aged, overlooked in the cooler for up to 40 years. The Wisconsin State Journal says a dealer will now sell the cheese for $10 an ounce. He says cheese from the outside of each block is crunchy, like corn flakes. On the inside, it's overwhelming sharp. Mm. It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright National Public Radio.