Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- Cape Fear Chordsmen are Going to the Dawgs
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
Wed January 11, 2012
35 Counties Getting Funds for Lost Crops
Governor Bev Perdue has received a disaster declaration for 35 North Carolina counties from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
WHQR’s Michelle Bliss reports the declaration will provide recovery assistance to farmers affected by last year’s damage from hurricanes and tornadoes.
The designation enables farmers to apply for funding through low-interest Farm Service Assistance loans and Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments.
New Hanover, Pender and Onslow counties are some of the local areas included.
Perdue says the state must do everything it can to help farmers recover from last year’s devastation in order to be ready for this year’s growing season.
Farmers in designated counties have until September to apply for disaster assistance to cover crop losses.
Farmers can apply for assistance by calling 919-875-4800.
And here's the full county list of counties.
Do you have insight or expertise on this topic? If so, we'd like to hear from you. Please email the WHQR News Team.