Most Active Stories
- WHQR'S Fundraising Luncheon with Cokie Roberts is Full - Thank You Everyone
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Top BOEM Official Addresses Scientists' Concerns about Potential for Redundancy in Seismic Surveying
- Brunswick Concert Band: Traditional & Contemporary
A Wilmington resident since 1993, Lan began his tenure as on-air host for WHQR’s Front Street Blues in 2003, later adding operations and information technology to his duties, as well as logistical support for the long-running music series, Soup To Nuts Live! He also provides images, video, and written content to WHQR.org.
Lan's education began at North Carolina State University, followed by Duke University’s Continuing Studies program. He's an honors graduate of Cape Fear Community College with an A.A.S. degree in Computer Engineering. His career path has included information technology, programming, network maintenance, web design, computer graphics, media & event production, and plying his trade as a professional bassist with a variety of touring and local artists.
Lan loves the Blues, spending many Tuesday nights at the ever-popular Cape Fear Blues Jam, tirelessly working alongside other volunteers with the Cape Fear Blues Society, and helping plan and staff the annual Cape Fear Blues Festival. His award-winning blues band, Tommy B. & The Stingers, has played nearly everywhere. It's a busy schedule, but he loves the challenge. Lan’s advice? “Bring a positive message to your community and follow a well-lit path. Success is never far behind.”
Lan occasionally wears a kilt (Clan Scott), loves to play golf, and spends his most important and productive moments with harp-wailin', accordion-squeezin', keyboard-playin’ spouse, Nel. They share a home with numerous cute cats, an upright bass, and at least 3 computers.