All my life I have been vitally interested in education and community. I spent 25 years as an Instructor of English at the University of Tennessee and the University of Memphis, where I taught undergraduate courses in writing and literature.
In 1987 I joined FedEx as a writer and soon found myself in the Leadership Institute, where I developed curriculum for leadership classes for FedEx management. As an Advisor in the FedEx Leadership Institute, I also developed and delivered leadership development programs for all levels of management for FedEx Global Service Participants throughout the world. I also collaborated with the University of Memphis to develop and deliver Global Education for FedEx executives and top FedEx customers.
Past civic involvement includes seats on the Board of Directors and Executive Council of Friends for Life (a 501c3 for victims of AIDS and their families), and a seat on the Advisory Board of the School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Memphis. I also served as President of the Alumni Association for the University of Memphis School of Arts and Sciences from 1996-1998. Current Activities:
- UNCW Adult Scholars Board, President (Presidency ends in June, 2013)
- UNCW Adult Scholars, Chair of ASLP 2014 (ASLP is the annual leadership program sponsored by Adult Scholars)
- Cape Fear Literacy Council, Tutor; Lead Trainer for Adult Literacy Training Team
- New Hanover County Board of Elections, Secretary (Term ends in June, 2013)
- Domestic Violence Shelter & Services, Secretary
- UNCW OLLI Board (Term ends in June, 2013)
Education: Doctorate in Adult Education, University of Memphis, Master of Arts, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Bachelor of Arts, University of Montevallo, Montevallo, Alabama.