Most Active Stories
- Cinematique Presents "The Grand Seduction"
- WHQR Announces Completed Purchase of WHQR Facilities by Friends of Public Radio, Inc.
- Changes in Entrepreneurial Landscape Open Space for Start-Ups in Small Cities like Wilmington
- Cinematique Presents "Magic in the Moonlight"
- Soup to Nuts Live!: Jesse Stockton
From WHQR (the people who have developed the premier Public Radio presence in Wilmington and SE Coastal Carolina) and the UNCW Graduate School - an opportunity to work and learn in a fast-paced and exciting environment of radio and the new media! WHQR 91.3FM is committed to providing valuable Public Radio experience and on-the-job training to interested and qualified intern candidates. We believe it is our mission and responsibility to assist qualified candidates interested in developing their business, production and journalism skills and enhance their understanding of public radio broadcasting.
The WHQR/UNCW Graduate Internship Program offers four paid internships depending on the need in the WHQR departments. The main areas are, but are not limited to, Broadcasting (News Service and Music Service), National Programming, Finance, Development, and Information Technology. Our current interns have had an exciting and fulfilling year at WHQR and will be moving on to their new careers in June this year!
As a WHQR 91.3FM Graduate Intern you will assist the full-time station staff as required, and will have the opportunity to learn (among others):
- The business of Public Radio
- Marketing/development procedures in a non-profit world
- Radio journalism & production
- The process of audio editing using state-of-the-art technology
- On-air techniques
- Using the exciting new platforms of Public Radio
Applications for internship opportunities for 2012-2013 are now being accepted for the following positions:
- Broadcast Journalism
- Development / Marketing
- Web / IT for Business
- You must be a currently enrolled graduate student at UNCW.
- You must be enrolled in a graduate degree program for the 12 month duration of the internship.
- Interested individuals should have a strong interest in public radio and possess excellent writing, research, communication, computer and organizational skills.
- You must have demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently.
- You should be interested in contemporary culture and be up-to-date on news and current events.
- Some previous editing, reporting, radio-producing, computer, and/or business experience is preferred.
WHQR 91.3FM internships are full-time and last for 12 months with a quarterly review period. Interns will be compensated based on a 30-hr work week at $18,500 per year. The position is located at the downtown Wilmington NC studios of WHQR.
Applications should include a resume, a statement of interest including this specific position in public radio and how it relates to your career goals, and a list of references. Completed applications should be submitted as an attachment to an email and sent to Dr. Robert Roer, Dean of the Graduate School and Research, at: email@example.com
Closing date for Applications: April 30, 2012
Interviews will be completed by May 16, 2012
Start date: July 1, 2012