From WHQR (the people who have developed the premier Public Radio presence in Wilmington and SE Coastal Carolina) and the UNCW Graduate School - an opportunity to work and learn in a fast-paced and exciting environment of radio and the new media! WHQR 91.3FM is committed to providing valuable Public Radio experience and on-the-job training to interested and qualified intern candidates. We believe it is our mission and responsibility to assist qualified candidates interested in developing their business, production, and journalism skills and enhance their understanding of public radio broadcasting.
The WHQR/UNCW Graduate Fellowship Program offers four paid fellowships depending on the need in the WHQR departments. The main areas are, Development, Webservices, News, and Operations. Our current interns have had an exciting and fulfilling year at WHQR and will be moving on to their new careers in June this year!
As a WHQR 91.3FM Graduate Fellow, you will assist the full-time station staff as required and will have the opportunity to learn (among others):
- The business of Public Radio
- Marketing/development procedures in a non-profit world
- Radio journalism & production
- The process of audio editing using state-of-the-art technology
- On-air techniques
- Using the exciting new platforms of Public Radio
Applications for fellowship opportunities for 2016-2017 are now being accepted for the following positions:
- Development – membership, database, publicity and public events.
- Web and Social Media – website, Facebook, Twitter, news support and integrated marketing
- News – local reporting
- Operations – program support, computers, logging, on-air work and program hosting
- You must be a currently enrolled graduate student at UNCW.
- You must be enrolled in a graduate degree program for the 12 month duration of the internship.
- Interested individuals should have a strong interest in public radio and possess excellent writing, research, communication, computer, and organizational skills.
- You must have demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently.
- You should be interested in contemporary culture and be up-to-date on news and current events.
- Some previous editing, reporting, radio-producing, computer, and/or business experience is preferred.
WHQR 91.3FM internships are full-time and last for 12 months with a quarterly review period. Interns will be compensated based on a 29-hr work week at $18,500 per year. The position is located at the downtown Wilmington, NC, studios of WHQR.
Applications should include a resume, a statement of interest including this specific position in public radio and how it relates to your career goals, and a list of references. Completed applications should be submitted as an attachment to an email and sent to Dr. Ron Vetter, Dean of the Graduate School and Research, at: email@example.com
Closing date for Applications: April 20, 2016
Interviews will be completed for the week of May 23rd, 2016
Start date: July 1, 2016