Becoming a Day Sponsor is a great way to provide vital support to WHQR and to send a personal message over the airwaves! Here's how it works:
- Make a one-time pledge of $180 or more, or become a Sustaining Member at $15 or more per month. No need to wait for a Pledge Drive! If you prefer not to pledge online, you can call 910-343-1640 to pledge by phone, or mail a contribution to 254 N. Front St., Suite 300, Wilmington, NC 28401.
- You can reserve a date at the time of your pledge, or wait until later. Please note, due to time constraints we can air only two Day Sponsor messages per day and the calendar tends to fill up fast. We encourage you to reserve your date as far in advance as possible.
- After your pledge is paid in full (for one-time payments) or after your first installment is paid (for Sustaining Members), we will mail you a paper Day Sponsorship form along with your tax receipt. You then mail it back to us with the wording for your message. You can also submit your message by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We do require your message information be submitted at least four business days before your Day Sponsor date or we will be unable to run it.
- Your message will be read on the air six times on each station (91.3 and 92.7) for a total of twelve times on the day you've sponsored. Here are our estimated air times (subject to change if there is special programming, e.g. The Metropolitan Opera or a breaking news broadcast):
7:30 am, 8:30 am, 10:59 am, 1:59 pm, 4:59 pm, 7:59 pm
8:18 am, 9:38 am, 10:59 am, 12:59 pm, 4:59 pm, 7:59 pm
8:18 am, 9:38 am, 10:59 am, 12:59 pm, 4:59 pm, 6:59 pm
- All messages start with "Thanks to our Day Sponsor (s)" followed by your name. Due to FCC regulations we must include the full name of the individual who made the donation. We cannot air anonymous Day Sponsor messages. If the donation came from a business or a non-profit group, the group name may be used instead of an individual name. Also, if an individual would like to use their Day Sponsorship to honor an organization, they (the donor), must contact WHQR to set up the message and be acknowledged as the Day Sponsor (Day Sponsorships CANNOT be donated to other individuals, groups, or organizations).
- 20 word limit after the required introduction - these 20 words include your name. Each number of a phone number or address counts as a word. As well, each word of a website is counted as an individual word.
- FCC prohibits comparative language, pricing information, and "calls to action," which means wording that instructs or asks our listeners to do something, like "Visit xyz.com to learn more!" Language "inviting" members to come to an event or place is also prohibited. Language such as "Details available at xyz.com" is an acceptable alternative. WHQR staff members are happy to work with you to edit your message both to your satisfaction and the FCC's.
Examples of Day Sponsor Messages:
Thanks to our Day Sponsor, Jane Doe, wishing John Doe a very happy 90th anniversary.
Thanks to our Day Sponsors, John and Jane Doe, celebrating the Wilmington Oboe Symphony's concert on February 14th. More information at wilmington oboe dot org.
Thanks to our Day Sponsor, Wilmington Squirrel Training, offering all levels of squirrel obedience classes. Details available at w s t dot com.
Questions? Contact email@example.com or call 910-343-1640 and ask for the Membership Department.