Most Active Stories
- WHQR Announces NPR and ABC's Cokie Roberts as Guest at Fundraising Luncheon
- CoastLine: Science Panel Weighs in on Potential Impacts of Seismic Testing off NC Coast
- 9 Films: Wilmington Jewish Film Fest Expands
- Governor McCrory Fights 50 Mile Buffer Zone for Oil & Gas Exploration and Drilling
- CoastLine: Bringing Human Trafficking out of the Shadows
Mon April 22, 2013
WHQR Turns 29 Years Old!
On this day in 1984, the Friends of the Opera, supported by public radio lovers and volunteers, set up shop in a converted bar in a strip mall on Greenfield Street. From humble beginnings, WHQR grew into a strong community station supported by its faithful listeners. Thank you for all for your support and devotion to WHQR over these 29 amazing years! A full history of the station can be found here.
Listen to the very first sounds of WHQR in 1984:
Or, tune in to 91.3fm today at 10:06am when Pat Marriott will air this clip in celebration.