Most Active Stories
- John Boehner Foe Targets 'Electile' Dysfunction
- FSB Encore from Mac & Juice and Jim Ashley
- New Moral Movies Film Series Intends to Highlight Social Issues and Spur Community Discussion
- UNCW Business Leaders Ask Cape Fear Region's Top Five Employers to Reveal Their Needs
- Cinematique: "Enemy" (New Time, 7PM)
Around the Nation
Tue March 5, 2013
Wash. Lawmaker Apologizes For Cyclist Comment
RENEE MONTAGNE, HOST:
Good morning, I'm Renee Montagne. When Washington state lawmakers proposed a new tax on bikes, the owner of several bike shops protested and ended up in an email argument with a Republican lawmaker, who shot back a novel claim.
State Sen. Ed Orcutt argued that cyclists pollute just by breathing. It is true that a heavy breathing cyclist will emit more carbon dioxide than a person who's just sitting. Orcutt did reconsider, and apologized.
It's MORNING EDITION. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.