Most Active Stories
- CFCC's Humanities and Fine Arts Center Partnering with DPAC, Carolina Theatre, and Local Arts Venues
- Wilmington Family YMCA Changes Background Check Policy for Volunteers After Gallagher's Arrest
- NC Legislature Considers Foster Care Family Act
- BOEM says Shrinking Buffer Zone for Offshore Oil and Gas Not Possible
- Soup to Nuts Live!: Rebekah Todd
Thu February 7, 2013
UNCW launches new initiative to improve athletics programs
UNCW Chancellor Gary Miller is launching a new initiative to strengthen the University’s athletic program. An Intercollegiate Review Committee (IARC) is now charged with taking a hard look at the strengths and weaknesses of UNCW sports.
The creation of the new committee is another move to bolster UNCW’s sports programs. It comes on the heels of the recent hiring of the University’s first major gifts officer in the athletics department. And while Chancellor Miller won’t speculate about potential findings, he says he does expect committee members to suggest new ways to bring UNCW sports to national prominence.
““Well, we haven’t constrained their consideration in any way, and we’re hoping that they – well, we know they will have a lot of competence in this group, that they’ll look at our program in a very methodical way and give us an objective view about its current state and where we need to go in the future.”
The committee, made up of a cross-section of faculty, staff, students, and members of major Boards, begins work immediately. The Chancellor says he expects to receive the IARC’s recommendations by mid-May.